Technology with opinion

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

PHP 5.0 Released

Major PHP release is final.... so.... what's the verdict? I don't know. Doesn't work on Windows yet. Although setup and compressed archives are available for PHP 5.0, I encountered several parsing problems, particularly with the PEAR & PEAR DB libraries that I use.

FYI: PEAR DB is a PHP database abstraction layer.

I'll wait for a fix for PHP 5.0 or a version of PEAR that works with the new version before I test drive the new engine.

Among the new features on PHP 5.0 are:
  • Zend Engine II with a new object model and dozens of new features
  • XML support has been rewritten
  • New SimpleXml extensions
  • New built-in SOAP extensions (for interop with web services)
  • New MySql extensions
  • SQLite is bundled with this version of PHP
  • Improvements to streams

and reportedly more...


No comments: